Our sustainability labels
SimienEcoTours believes in the positive effects of truly sustainable tourism for Ethiopia. However, the country and its service providers don't follow standardised sustainability criteria for destinations, hotels and activities which does not mean that there are no sustainable options. The problem is to get to know them when you are new to Ethiopia.
With our FAIR HOTEL and FAIR ACTIVITY labels you can easily judge yourself while planning your trip with our Travel Expert and make your itinerary more sustainable.
FAIR HOTEL LABEL
The label ensures you that minimum sustainability criteria are applied in the accommodation where you are staying. You will find the label in your first itinerary plan provided by your Travel Expert or fair accommodations will be mentioned to you in your trip planning process.
Our sustainability representative carefully follows up on accommodations if they are still in line with these criteria. Every year we ask our preferred partners to sign a code of conduct with us to insist that these criteria are essential to pillars to work with us.
SimienEcoTours awards hotels and lodges with our FAIR HOTEL label when the accommodation,
- Ensures human rights for all workers.
- Ensures good working conditions at least in compliance with national regulations.
- Offers regular trainings and awareness campaigns to the employees.
- Refuses child labor.
- Undertakes initiatives to reduce its environmental footprint.
- Encourages the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Supports the human, economic and cultural development of the community.
- Signed a code of conduct with SimienEcoTours which is in line with our sustainability criteria.
FAIR ACTIVITY LABEL
Our fair activity label is your easy guideline to choose the 'better' activity or excursion while you are on tour. You will find the label in your first itinerary plan provided by your Travel Expert or fair activities or excursions will be mentioned to you in your trip planning process.
All our individual activity and excursion offers are evaluated according to the social, financial and environmental footprints. Only activities with mainly positive impacts get awarded.
SimienEcoTours awards activities and excursions with our FAIR ACTIVITY label when the activity,
- Has a low carbon footprint as it is on foot, bicycle, boat (no engine) or horse with less than 20 km transfer to the start of the activity.
- Respects animal rights.
- Supports nature conservation.
- Benefits local communities or service providers.
- Is an immersive and mutual cultural experience.
- Is an authentic experience and not folklore.
- Doesn't allow child labor.