Find your inspiration in our stories
Peace deal signed to end Tigray war
Some days ago, on November 2nd, after a two years long conflict and ten days of peace talks in South Africa, the two parties (Government of Ethiopia and TPLF) finally agreed on a “permanent cessation of hostilities” as well as on a series of other measures which should end permanently the conflict.
For part of the political analysts and population this agreement came surprisingly, fact is that in Ethiopia and abroad the news was definitely welcomed and celebrated as a very positive development. A few days ago people in Addis Ababa were celebrating in the streets. One can clearly see that the whole country is tired of the war, so now everyone is excited and happy about the reached peace deal.
This agreement includes important measures and steps towards lasting peace such as:
- Immediate and permanent cessation of hostilities
- Demobilisation and disarming of Tigrayan rebel forces;
- Provision of all needed humanitarian aid;
- Restoration of essential services to the people of Tigray;
- Putting in place of trust building measures;
- Installation of a transitional regional government;
- Planning of proper new regional elections.
In these 2 official documents released in the last days you can read all the details:
- First joint statement 2nd November 2022 (2 pages pdf)
- Final agreement for lasting peace 2nd November 2022 (9 pages pdf)
And here you can find the online articles about this headline from the most important worldwide media houses or other organizations:
- Reuters.com - Combatants in Ethiopia's Tigray war agree to stop fighting
- Aljazeera.com - Ethiopia: Government, Tigrayan forces agree to end two-year war
- Time.com - Ethiopia and Tigray Rebels Agree to a Peace Deal, After Two Years of Brutal Conflict
- Bloomberg.com - IMF Welcomes Ethiopia Truce Amid Talks on Economic Reform Plans
- Peaceau.org - Cessation of Hostilities Agreement between the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and the Tigray Peoples’ Liberation Front (TPLF)
- News.un.org - Ethiopia: Peace agreement between Government and Tigray ‘a critical first step’: Guterres
We're convinced that this is an important step towards more stability in Ethiopia and a crucial factor to see international tourism increasing. Just a few days ago the minister of tourism underlined that "Peace is the passport for Tourism". In this sense we all wish: ሰላም/selam/peace for Ethiopia!